Monday 9 August 2010

Using Open Office to Manage a Derby/SQL Database

Following on from a previous post regarding the archival of audit trails from IB. I designed and created a quick and dirty database using a local JDBC/derby within Netbeans. I did absolutely nothing fancy, just wrote instructions for the database to store any and all information that is received from the API, and any information that gets passed through.


This obviously isn't practical if I were going for low latency trades, just analysing performance in the NetBeans profiler shows my DatabaseHandler class eating up a shocking amount of CPU time (of the order of 10ms per call of a method with prepared statements writing to the database).


My reason for doing this however, is that I can link to the derby database via OpenOffice base. This is fantastic for keeping a rudimentary and lightweight account of all the data i've been sending to and receiving from IB which is human readable.


I use this to plot my net liquidation value, analyse specific performance of specific strategies, and generate reports of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment